Saturday, July 7, 2012

Two firsts in one night

One good. One not-so-good.

I haven't been sleeping very well lately. Something about not being able to get comfortable and having to get up and (a-hem) go to the bathroom more than once per night. Ya know, I'm pregnant. And any little noise wakes me up these days. Last night around midnight I heard the strangest sound. It sounded like... weather. I looked outside, and by golly it was raining. For the first time in a very long, long time. What a wonderful sound. And I fell back to sleep.

Then the not-so-good thing happened.

At about 1:30 a.m. I heard Lola mumbling something through the monitor. We have a video monitor, so I reached over and turned on the screen, only to find her sitting up rearranging her blankets and her babies (all six of them). No big deal - I'm sure she does this occasionally. But then suddenly she stood up and started throwing everything out of her bed. She does this every morning when she wakes up and also after her naps. This is the sign she's ready to get up. What?! No. What is she doing? This kid hasn't gotten up in the middle of the night in months. Maybe even a year. (Okay, probably not that long, but I can't remember the last time she did this.) She started yelling for me to come get her, and I thought, "Maybe if I just wait a few minutes she'll lie down and go back to sleep." Then she threw her leg over the side. Dang it! So I went in. I put all her stuff back in her bed and tried to lay her back down. She started whining around and reaching up for me, so I told her I'd rock her for a few minutes. (Again, we haven't rocked this kid in FOREVER.) I'll admit, I enjoyed it. A lot. As we prepare for baby #2, I'm trying not to be so sad about my first baby becoming a little girl, but I can't help it. She is growing up before our eyes. Everyone said, "Enjoy her while she's little, it goes by so fast." And dang it, they were right. And it stinks. So I really didn't mind one little bit to sit and hold and rock her for a few minutes. And she enjoyed it, too. But then she started to whine again and ask for her daddy - who was still in our bed. Oh, what the heck, I thought. It would be okay to let her sleep with us... just for one night. Right?

Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha.

She proceeded to flop and kick and talk and sit up and lie down and sit up and lie down and talk and kick some more for two hours. Finally at about 3:30 or so she fell asleep. And shortly after that so did we.

Never. Again. Never. Ever. Again. Famous last words? Maybe. I'll admit I slept with my parents and/or brother many, many nights as a kid... and beyond. I was the biggest scared-y cat about sleeping by myself. I have always secretly hoped and prayed that if I ever had kids they wouldn't take after me when it comes to sleep habits. So far she has been a really good sleeper. Please, oh please, let last night just be a completely random, non-repetitive occurrence. Or maybe she's just trying to prepare us for having a newborn in the house again. Oy.

2 comments:

Megan Luna Werner said...

Oh sister! Have we slept in our own beds since??

Jabet Wade said...

Oh yes! Thank goodness. She has been waking up at the crack of dawn for some reason the past couple of days, but at least it's not 1:30 in the morning.