Saturday, March 8, 2014
It gets easier
Today was sort of a milestone for our little family of four. Matt went to work, so I loaded up both kids and headed to Mountain Home for story time at the library, lunch and grocery shopping. And it was fun. No fits or tantrums. No major malfunctions. Just a sincerely fun outing. This might not sound like a big deal, but it is. It really is. Finn has never gone with us to story time. And he's a very... busy boy right now. In other words, he is walking (running) everywhere and is in to everything, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to contain him while stories were being read and crafts were being crafted. Eeeek. It was a new place with lots of new faces, so he clung to me in the beginning. But once he warmed up, he wanted to walk around and see what everyone was up to. But he was good. And Lola was great. She was such a helper to me and a good big sister to Finn. She watched over him and held his hand to lead him to a spot on the floor to sit and listen. Story time lasted about 45 minutes, and after that Lola wanted to stay and read books. We read a couple, but Finn was pretty fidgety, so we went upstairs to the Blackbird Cafe for lunch. There was only one problem: They don't have high chairs. Crap. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep FH in a chair or on my lap for the duration of lunch - and the place was packed - so we got our stuff to go. They shared a "monkey's uncle" smoothie - peanut butter, bananas, milk and apple juice (it was soooo good) - while we waited for my sandwich to go. From there we went to the first grocery store - both kids rode in the cart and were well-behaved. We had to take a potty break for Lola in the middle of shopping. (And while I was helping her, Finn got down on all fours... ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR. Arghhhh! Oh, the joys of pottying in public places.) They were both getting tired, but they hung in there with me for another grocery store stop. Whew. As we were leaving MH, I realized... we have crossed over. You know, that line you can't actually see and have no idea exists when you're still in the "first year" with two? That line. I think we've crossed it. At least I'm crossing my fingers that we have. Hey, parents still in your first year with two (or mamas currently pregnant with #2 and scared sh*tless about how you're going to pull it off): You can do it. The first year is gonna be hard. Reeeeaaally challenging at times. But the line is there. And I promise you will cross it. You won't see it or realize when it's happening. But one day you'll realize you're on the other side of it. You won't really know how you got there, but who cares. You made it. You survived the first year (or first 16 months, for us). The fog will lift, and you'll breathe in some of the freshest air you've ever tasted. I'm not saying it's gonna be smooth sailing from then on. Nope. But it will be a little easier. It gets easier. Remember that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment