Case in point:
Last week I took Lola and Regan to dance class. Dance class is in Mountain Home, Ark., where Razorback fans run rampant. We were in the dressing room before class, and a little girl walked through and went into the bathroom. Lola leaned over to me and giggled and whispered, "Did you see her shirt?" I didn't see it, and I didn't really pay attention to what Lola had said because I was hurrying to get the girls dressed for class. She kept talking about the shirt, and I kept ignoring, but then the little girl came out, and Lola leaned over to me again and said, "See! See her shirt. Look at it!" And she was giggling. The poor kid heard Lola and turned and looked at us. Our eyes all fell on her shirt and the Razorback that glittered across the front. Lola was simply mimicking what she hears us say when we see Razorback paraphernalia: "Ew, it's a Razorback!" but I could tell that the little girl knew Lola wasn't exactly complimenting her on her shirt, but rather... making fun of it? Ughhhhh.
I tried to gloss over the situation by quickly saying, "Yes, I see it. It's a Razorback. Now come on, let's get to class!" When the girl walked out I tried to explain to Lola that she shouldn't talk about and giggle and point to someone because it might make the kid/person feel awkward. Lola was utterly confused. And quite frankly, so was I. Sigh. #parentingfail #gotigers
1 comment:
If Regan didn't chime in with a less than sensitive remark as well, I would be shocked. Something similar happened last time I took them to class. Yeah, parents of the year right here.
Post a Comment