Sunday, January 10, 2010

Life After P90X

For those of you who don't know, Matt and I have been doing an at-home workout program called P90X. We started 14 weeks ago, and we finished last week. (The program is actually 13 weeks, but somewhere along the way we had a few hiccups and had to repeat a week.) Nevertheless, I'm very happy and proud to say we are DONE!

Starting P90X
We don't usually buy gimmicky things like this from the television - yes, there is a P90X infomercial! In fact, we'd never heard of it until last summer. Matt was inspired to do it after talking about it with a friend who did it and had amazing results. So, I said I'd do it with him.

A Major Time Commitment
P90X is a time burglar. It requires you to work out 6 days per week, for anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes per day. For the most part, we were able to stick to the 6-day-per-week regimen, missing only a few workouts along the way. We tried to work out as many mornings as possible; it was hard as hell to get up at 5:15, but once we got going, it was fine, and we were so glad we did it.

Intense
The first week was brutal. We were sore in ways we never thought possible! One of the reasons P90X works is because you do something different each day, which results in "muscle confusion." Our muscles were definitely "confused" that first week. By about Day 3 it hurt to laugh... it hurt to sneeze! I think we both wondered if we could do it. But, by week 2 we were feeling better and could tell we were getting stronger.

A Great Partner
P90X isn't easy. If it weren't for Matt being by my side, I truly don't think I could have or would have finished it. Having said that, as the weeks went along, I never once thought about quitting, even though it would have been easy to do.

Now What?
My biggest regret is not taking our measurements. We both weighed, and we took "before" pictures. (Haven't decided if I should post those here or not!) Matt lost pounds and inches - his pants are much looser, and he's on the last notch on his belt. I didn't really lose any pounds per se, but I know I lost inches and fat and gained muscle. I feel stronger and firmer. It's really amazing! Even though we're finished with the program, we plan to continue using the DVDs. For example, I want to keep focusing on legs and abs, and I know Matt wants to continue working on his chest, arms and abs. I'm not sure we'll keep up the 6-day-per-week routine, but making time for exercise is definitely a priority for both of us now, and I hope we can keep it up!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

way to go Jabet & Matt! That is awesome. I would love to see before & after photos but also not sure if I would be willing to post my own so I understand :). Working full time and coming home to Zeke.. I like to do Jillian's 30 day shred. It is an intense 20 min workout. I can usually always find time to at least fit that workout in. We recently got Wii fit and a game called EA active where you use resistant bands and it gets pretty intense too.

Jabet Wade said...

Thanks, Jenny! I've heard about the Jillian workouts and would like to check them out sometime. I can't imagine how difficult it must be sometimes to find time to exercise with a toddler around! We have a hard enough time, and it's just us (and our dogs). :)

Anonymous said...

It feels so good to be stronger!! Way to go! One of my Mtn. Home friends posted on FB that she buying the P90X. I was curious to know what it was about. (Obviously, I don't have TV and haven't seen the informercial.) But... Lyle told me that I ought to be doing someting different all the time at the gym to confuse my muscles. LOL!