Monday, September 13, 2010

OMG Brownies

Now that Miss Lola is here, and I'm no longer pregnant... I suppose it's time to get back on the healthy eating plan. Not that we went totally berserk while I was pregnant - we continued to eat healthy for the most part. But, I certainly let things slide that I wouldn't normally... such as buying a Ghirardelli brownie mix every time I went to the grocery store, big bags of salt and vinegar potato chips, kettle cooked potato chips and french onion dip, ice cream, ice cream, ice cream (it was all low sugar, though!) Anyway, since I'm technically on "maternity leave" now (ha ha), we're still splurging a little. I made these brownies last night, and OMG, they are delicious. Thank you, Guy Fieri. (I tweaked it a little, but it's mostly his recipe.)

Blondies with Dark Roots

Cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoons ( 1/3 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mist an 8-inch-square glass baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat 3 to 4 more minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and almonds. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes in the pan before slicing. (Fantastic with vanilla ice cream.)

4 comments:

Jessica Peterson Blackburn said...

Oh, great - I have no reason NOT to make these and a thousand reasons to go for it. I think I've baked something almost every weekend the last 6 weeks or so, which I almost never do under normal circumstances. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

mrsmuth said...

2 things.
SIT DOWN AND REST!

and
those sound good.

Anonymous said...

I love brownies. Those sound awesome, but my favorite are your chocolate brownies with peanut butter chips! They're my favorite breakfast food! :)

Jessica Peterson Blackburn said...

So, guess what I did the night I read this recipe. Yep. They were AWESOME!