Saturday, December 10, 2011

Blueberry-oatmeal pancakes

Lola loves pancakes.

After dragging her to Springfield in freezing temperatures on Tuesday to get TWO shots, I decided she deserved pancakes for dinner.
This is our favorite recipe:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/4 cups low-fat or fat-free buttermilk
1 large egg
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Combine flour, oats, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk together oil, buttermilk and egg in a separate bowl. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Stir in blueberries. Cook and gobble them up.

This is actually a South Beach recipe. The original recipe is for waffles (no blueberries) and calls for a 1/2 cup of water (in addition to the buttermilk) and 3 tablespoons of sugar substitute (instead of sugar). I omit the water for pancakes, so the batter is a little thicker. And I try not to use artificial sweeteners anymore (except for an occasional heavenly diet coke), so I use real sugar and cut it back to 2 tablespoons instead of 3. Lola eats them plain. Matt drenches them in peanut butter and syrup. They're really delicious by themselves. Also good with jam. Great leftover. Just pop them in the toaster. Enjoy!

No comments: