Thursday, May 3, 2012

A new comfort food favorite

As many of you know, along with pregnancy comes some interesting (and sometimes unwanted) side effects. So far this go-round has been a little bit different from my experience with Lola. My first pregnancy was pretty easy - I realize that now. I never felt sick, never had any food aversions. I was tired in the beginning, but that passed. My back really started to hurt in the end, but that ended rather suddenly with her early birth! But this time I did have some nausea in the first few weeks - thankfully that has already passed. The worst part about the nausea was how it made me feel about food. Prior to the pregnancy, we had been roasting vegetables like crazy. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, kale, cauliflower, peppers, onions, potatoes - you name it, we probably roasted it. But, suddenly none of that sounded good anymore. All I wanted was bread, chips, pasta and sweets.

Good lord, it must be a boy.

Right about the time all this started happening we started to receive weekly produce co-op deliveries. I was soooo excited about this, yet I couldn't bring myself to cook any of the greens. For the first few weeks we got huge bunches of kale. Kale. We LOVE kale. The thought of it made me want to gag. It was depressing.

I swear three weeks went by without me eating anything green. And then finally, finally, a few weeks ago, I roasted some brussels sprouts, and they tasted good. (I'll admit I did have to choke them down a little bit, but I managed to do it.) I feel like myself again now, and veggies are back on our dinner table.

The one good thing that came from my feeling icky was this:

Eggplant Parmesan

A few weeks ago we got an eggplant in our produce delivery. I had never cooked eggplant, but I decided to give it a try. I made eggplant parmesan, and it... was... DELICIOUS. Matt loved it. I loved it. (Lola wasn't quite sure what to think of it, but she enjoyed the spaghetti part of it). We've made it twice now, and I think it has definitely become a new comfort food favorite in the Wade house. And it's easy, too! Just slice your eggplant, sprinkle with salt and lay on paper towels for about 30 minutes to let some of the liquid drain out. Then lightly dredge each piece in flour, then dip in egg, then dredge in a mixture of breadcrumbs and parmesan. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 for about 5 minutes or so on each side. Then layer in a baking dish with your favorite pasta sauce, some mozzarella cheese and bake until bubbly. Serve over pasta. Yum.

Do you have a favorite way to cook eggplant? Let me know!

No comments: