Thursday, May 2, 2013
Night Vision
A few weeks ago Finn and I drove home from Columbia, and three-quarters of the trip was after dark. And oh boy, was that an eye-opening experience. I very quickly realized I cannot see well at night. At all. I also couldn't remember the last time I had driven after dark (except from the dock to my house, which I could do with my eyes closed) - so this was news to me. In all honesty, it was scary. I should have pulled over and stayed in a motel, but I just wanted to be home so badly. At one point I called Matt and said, "I don't want to alarm you, but..." and I proceeded to tell him what was going on. He, of course, said I should pull over, but by that point I was between Lebanon and Mansfield, and if you know that stretch of road, well, I just had to keep driving. The lights from other cars blinded me. My lights reflecting off the road signs blinded me. I literally had to slow down to 30 miles per hour when meeting oncoming traffic It was the craziest thing. Ever! What's even more bizarre, I think, is that the majority of the people I have told about this said they have the same problem. We're in our thirties, people! And we're already falling apart?! Matt's 82-year-old grandma, Loretta (aka "Ma"), doesn't drive at night. Well, Ma, now neither do I.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ummm...yeah, I can barely drive at night either. I mentioned it to my optometrist at my last check-up and he said that yes, that was a natural part of aging but that I was pretty young to already be experiencing it. Makes me glad I'm not the only one but sheesh, what in the world is going on?
Post a Comment