Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beets: A Lesson Learned

For all you newbie parents out there, heed this warning! Babies love beets. (My baby does anyway.) Just be careful how much you feed him or her. This could happen to you...

A few weeks ago I picked up some beets at the farmers market. I noticed they were featured in a couple recipes in one of my baby food cookbooks, so I thought I'd give them a try. I had never cooked with beets, never really eaten beets myself. When I quizzed the farmers market guy about how to prepare them he turned up his nose and said he didn't like them and didn't know how to cook them.

That should have been my first clue.

They were a pain to clean. They were about the size of new potatoes, and I had to peel and dice each one. I read that they could be steamed or roasted. I chose to steam them, and it took FOREVER.

They smelled like dirt, and they tasted like dirt. Sweet dirt. But, still... dirt. Kids love dirt, riiiight?

After spending all that time preparing them I figured I might as well let her try them. Guess what: she loved them! She ate a whole bowl full. Mmmmm, mmmmm! And that's where we went wrong...too many beets! I'm not gonna give you all the dirty details, but let's just say I now understand why beets are only just a small ingredient in those baby food recipes. A little goes a loooong way.

(If the farmers market beets had a label it should read:
"Can be used as a laxative.")


I like to call this one "The Joker." We mixed in a little yogurt in the end, hence the white stuff on her mouth.

No more beets, Mom!

1 comment:

Jessica Peterson Blackburn said...

LOL. I'll have to tell you about Regan's diaper this morning at another time and place. But needless to say, I have NO IDEA where it came from. At least you know what caused Lola's!