Matt and I spent Easter Sunday just chillin' at home. It was a cold, wet and nasty day in P-town. He went fishing for a bit in the morning, but after that we pretty much just vegged. For dinner we had planned to blacken some fish, but when it came time to cook, neither of us wanted to mess with that. Matt suggested pancakes, but I talked him into letting me try a new recipe instead - whole wheat buttermilk waffles. He reluctantly agreed... but they were actually really good! I loved the texture of the oats in the waffles. We had a few leftover, so we just stuck them in the fridge, and we can pop them in the toaster this week for breakfast or a snack. Enjoy!Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granular sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/4 cups 1 percent or fat-free buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1 large egg
Combine flour, oats, baking powder and sugar substitute in a medium bowl. Whisk together oil, buttermilk, water and egg in a separate bowl. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Heat waffle iron; coat lightly with cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of batter (depending on the size of your iron) and cook until browned and crisp.
Note: We also cooked some turkey bacon on the side. I just dabbed a little butter on my waffles and ate them plain; Matt ate his with crunchy peanut butter and syrup. If you want to keep it low sugar, but want a little sweetness, try them with sugar free jelly. One last thing... this recipe doesn't call for salt, but next time I'm going to throw in a dash of salt. I think it needed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment